Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Love of books

As I've been discussing the past few days, I love a good word. This love of words naturally translates into my love of reading. When I was a child my parents would come in and find me reading by the closet light. I remember them telling me that I was going to ruin my eyes reading by that poor light. But I just couldn't help myself - when I got caught up in a good book I just didn't want to let it go. Some of my favorite books growing up were - Little House books, Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew mysteries.

From the beginning, Chris and I decided that we would read to our children nightly. We want to expose them to the beauty of words and the pictures that they can create in our minds.
We started reading to Brian when he was about 6 months old. The Big Red Barn was one of his favorites. That book has made its way through all 3 of our boys. Of course it doesn't have a front or back cover any more, but the story is still just as good!

The tradition continues at our home, wherever we may be at the time. Now instead of one small boy and his daddy, there are 3 boys. And the books are getting a little more sophisticated than just picture books (although the big boys still love reading those!). This time at night before they go to sleep is special - it's time alone with their daddy

My boys have begun to share their momma's love of books. They bring me lots of books during the day to read. We snuggle up on the couch and share some special time between the pages of a good book. Brian has even taken to "reading" some books to Sean or Colin. It is so sweet to watch him be the big brother. It is my fervent desire to one day have to tell each of my boys to put their books down, turn off the light and go to bed.

No comments: