Tuesday, April 15, 2008

One is silver and the other gold

I just remember the song I used to sing when I was a Brownie...


Make new friends, but keep the old.
One is silver and the other gold.

Tuesday was what I'm dubbing "old friend" day. The morning began with another play date with the Foss girls and Gracie. And I got to spend some time catching up with my friend Jen. Jen is a dear friend whom I met at church and we have become very close over the years. I remember seeing her at church before we became friends and thinking how sweet and just plain nice she seemed and how I would love to be her friend. Well, God works in mysterious ways as we know, and now we share a bond that time and distance won't sever. We enjoyed our morning together immensely.

To digress: Trish, Kary, Daniella and I (or the Fabulous Four as I like to call us), used to host a Girls' Night dinner at our homes (rotating homes) each week. Not only did we do it every week, we actually made a meal - and we were all working at the time! Of course this practice of a weekly dinner turned into monthly, then quarterly, etc. as we all got married, and then started having children. But, we are all still close friends to this day.

Back before we left for Florida, my friends Kary, Trish and I along with all of our kids (and Chris as well!) got together at a petting farm for one last get together with our kids. It was a great time, and I have really missed my dear friends. The rest of my day on Tuesday was spent between Kary and Trish's homes. We went to Kary's house around lunchtime and spent the afternoon there. Campbell was at school for part of the time, but we had a great time with Audrey, and once Campbell got home, more fun ensued. Kary and I sat on the couch and just gabbed away - well, between being interrupted by our kids! We were sorry our time together had to end.

Next up, I got to hang out in rush hour traffic on I-495 and the Dulles Toll Road. Check those off the list! I "hustled" the boys over to Trish's new house for dinner - or as much as one can hustle in Maryland/Northern VA traffic! Trish made "Cindy's Dish" for dinner. She has named it for me since I made it for one of our Girls' Night Dinners many years ago. Basically it's a salmon, asparagus pasta dish - and REALLY yummy to boot! My boys had a great time playing with Alec and Caleb, Trish's boys. And Trish and I had a glass of wine, waxed on about life, love and God, and kept the boys up way too late. And as Trish told me, God always has a way of reminding us that he's in charge (wink, wink).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a former Bluebird myself, I remember that song quite fondly, especially always singing it in a round!