Friday, February 29, 2008

Why I haven't been blogging as of late

Reminiscent of 23 months ago, I managed to get a chip fracture in my left ankle. I'd love to be able to say it was from something noble and brave, like saving a child from a burning building. Or even something terribly exciting, like my tryout for Dancing with the Stars. But alas, as I did almost 2 years ago, I was merely stepping down a measly 1 step. I must have caught the outside of my foot and rolled it, because all of a sudden I heard a really...loud...CRACK, and I went crumbling to the ground.

We were getting ready to leave my sister-in-law's house to head back home after celebrating our nephew's 15th birthday. Needless to say, our trip home was postponed by about 6 hours as I went to the ER after my ankle began swelling up to the size of a clementine. Hours and x-rays later confirmed what I already knew - I had fractured my ankle. The ER put a temporary splint on and sent me on my merry way.

On Monday, I got to meet the man who is to be my orthopedist - I just might need to keep him on retainer! He told me that he could either put me in a hard cast, or a walking boot. The good news about the walking boot is that I can take it off to shower, or when I'm just sitting on the couch. The bad news about the walking boot is that I can take it off - thereby slowing down the healing process. Needless to say, I chose the walking boot!

Life is a little different than it was the last time I broke my ankle. We have moved and I don't have the wonderful network of friends near me to help out. 2 years ago, there were many children who came over to help me watch Brian and Sean - such a huge help. I had meals a plenty from women at church and in the neighborhood. I lacked for nothing.

This time we live in a brand spankin' new neighborhood where there are only 6 other families. I have 1 long-time friend in town. However, I have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of generosity of the women that I have recently met. I joined a MOPS group in September and a local playgroup in January. Swallowing my pride, I sent out an email message that I was hurt and needed any help they could provide. These women have blessed me with their friendship and help. I have had meals provided to me, they have brought their children over to play with the boys, and they are going to have someone come and clean my house for me. I can't even begin to express the joy and amazement I have been feeling at this outpouring of love and help. I am truly feeling like this is my new home.

1 comment:

:) said...

normally I don't wish for time to fly but I will make an exception in this case. Here's to wishing for three weeks to fly on by.