Thursday, February 22, 2007

Here I am Lord


Our parish decided to have a 40 Hour Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament starting on Ash Wednesday through Friday evening. Last year they tried this but only had the Blessed Sacrament out during the day and reposed at night. When they called for volunteers, Chris and I both felt called to sit in adoration. Now obviously with our young brood it would be impossible for us to go together so we decided to go at seperate times, and during hours that it might be harder to be filled (ie. in the middle of the night/early morning).

I signed up to sit from 12:30 - 1:30 a.m. on Thursday morning. Now keep in mind that I have never before sat in adoration in front of the Blessed Sacrament. I've never really known what it was or what it entailed. Heck, I didn't even realize what transubstatiation was until my sister Kellie was confirmed 5 years ago!

Around midnight I packed Colin in the car and we headed out to church. When we arrived, the parking lot was fairly empty - shocking, I know. I grabbed the baby, my bible, my rosary and headed into the church. Colin was fussing a little, so before I left the vestibule I calmed him down. I looked in the church and saw the Blessed Sacrament on the altar with the lights shining on it, and a few people sitting in the pews in the semi-dark. Once Colin was quiet, I went inside and took a seat in the back half of the pews. I put Colin's seat down, laid my bible and rosary down and looked up at the Blessed Sacrament and ....

I began to weep. It was the most beautiful sight I had seen. Christ, sitting on the altar, light shining upon him. I couldn't stop crying. In my head I heard, "Cindy, thank you for sitting with me this hour," and all I could say was "You're welcome, Lord".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful post, Cindy.

Anonymous said...

Cindy: Now YOU are making ME weep. So wonderful when we receive "signal graces" like that. It's so beautiful! What a wonderful gift to be able to be there, and bless you for bringing baby Colin to pray with Jesus too.