Thursday, July 17, 2008

My Baby is 5!

7/17/03

7/17/08
What a difference 5 years can make. Not only in physical changes, but in emotional ways as well. This is the child who changed me into a mother. Not only was Brian born 5 years ago, but with his birth came the birth of my new family. A piece of me now resided outside of my body and Chris and I were charged with loving, caring and raising this gift from God.

I have so enjoyed watching Brian grow these last 5 years. He has gone from the tiny little baby the doctors were worried about not gaining weight, to a really big boy. He has always been a mini-me of Chris, although as he gets older he's developing into his own look. He has always made me smile just thinking about him, but now he can make me laugh with his sense of humor, and his imagination - he can tell some really funny stories! Brian is no longer my little baby, but my big boy.

Last night I pulled Brian into bed with me so that he could wake up on his birthday right next to his mommy. As we were laying there in the middle of the night, I was stroking his hair as he fell back to sleep. Thinking he was asleep, I whispered, "I'm so lucky that you are my boy." To my surprise a sleep voice answered me, "I'm so lucky you're my mommy." Tears sprang to my eyes. No, Brian isn't a baby anymore - he's a big boy with big thoughts and feelings all his own. I'm so excited to see what this year will bring.

Dinner at Brian's favorite restaurant - Pancheros!

Yeah for presents!

God's celebration of Brian's birthday.

No comments: