Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dressed for drowning

We are back to Colin's Safe Start swimming lessons after a 3 week hiatus - 1 week because he was sick and then we were off for the next 2 weeks for Christmas break.

I wasn't sure how much he would remember after being away from Ms. Carmen and the water for so long. Tuesday (our first day back), he spent the first half of his lesson crying. By the end of it, he was floating on his own again. Wednesday was an even better day. So today he wore his street clothes (t-shirt & shorts) and shoes to his lesson. The premise being that if he falls in, chances are he's going to be in clothes and not in his bathing suit, so we need to make sure he can perform his survival skills while in clothes. Now, keep in mind, Colin doesn't wear shoes. Oh, occasionally I'll put them on him for kicks, but for the most part, my boy goes barefoot. So he's wearing some clunky, over sized sandals in the water. But despite all that, he was a champ today! Tomorrow will be graduation. He'll wear pants, a long sleeve shirt/sweatshirt, socks and sneakers.

I can't say enough about the Safe Start program. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I never would have believed that my little man (or any baby for that matter), would be able to accomplish these life-saving skills. I'm feeling a little better about Colin's safety now.

1 comment:

Lori Beth said...

That's awesome Cin, but ldon't let it be a feeling of overconfidence. Something can always happen even if we are prepared. Just an FYI..I'm sure you know that. (that's the lifeguard in me)