Friday, June 06, 2008

My Mother-in-Law

There's the old stereotype that mother-in-laws are also known as "monster-in-laws". I know quite a few people who have to deal with this phenomenon.

Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity to meet my mother-in-law. 10 years ago today, Chris' mom succumbed to cancer. 8 years ago next week, I met Chris. If you do the math, the two don't add up.

I'm always sad that I never got to know Sara in this life. From everything I have heard, from my father-in-law, Chris and his siblings, and even the other "out-laws" of this family, Sara was a warm and kind-hearted soul. She was always giving and loving. There is a gaping hole in this family since she died - one that can not be filled. The pain gets easier to bear, but it is always there, and especially on this day and other important days in our lives.

Chris wrote the most amazing, beautiful letter to his mother on this the 10 year anniversary of her death. Please take a moment to read it.

Sara, please know how much I love your son and grandsons, and that I'm taking care of them here until we all meet again.

Love,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would read his post...but, I'm almost crying just from reading yours. Maybe later, but I don't want to cry right now.